What is Unaccompanied Minor service?
Young children traveling without a parent or legal guardian are considered to be an unaccompanied minor. This airline offers this service.
Are there any discounts for children?
Children aged 2-11 years (inclusive) on the date of their return flight qualify for a child discount and pay 75% of the adult fare (does not apply to airport taxes and charges). The child must be accompanied by an adult 16 years of age and over.
Please note that the child discount does not apply to Premium/PremiumFlex tickets, with the exception of tickets purchased on or before August 31, 2013 for travel on or before August 31, 2013.
At what age can passengers travel alone?
Passengers aged 16 years or older are considered adults.
Children between the ages of 12-15 years (inclusive) on the date of their return trip may travel alone or order assistance (Unaccompanied Minor service) if specifically requested by the parent of guardian. Children in this age group pay the applicable adult fare.
What are the rules and restrictions for the Unaccompanied Minor service?
The Unaccompanied Minor (UM) service is available to ensure that your child is boarded onto the aircraft, introduced to the flight attendant and turned over to the appropriate person upon arrival at their final destination.
- Children ages 5-11 (inclusive) traveling alone or without an adult (16 years or over) must use the UM service.
- Children ages 12-15 (inclusive) are not required to use the service, but Norwegian will provide it when requested.
- Norwegian Air Shuttle does not accept children traveling as UM to/from Russia, Ukraine, Israel, Kosovo, Bosnia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Morocco, United Arab Emirates, Thailand and the United States.
- UM are not permitted to bring animals in the cabin or cargo.
- Bookings for UM or requests for additional assistance cannot be made by email.
- UM must check-in at least 1 hour prior to departure.
- UM cannot travel on connecting flights.
What other information is needed to use the UM service?
At the time of booking a Sender (who will check-in the child) and Receiver (who will collect the child) must be nominated. Valid photographic ID must be presented when checking in and collecting the child. The details on the Sender/Receiver's ID must match the details in the UM booking. The Sender must remain at the airport until the child boards their flight and the aircraft departs the gate. UM will not be accepted to travel if it is evident before departure that there is a possibility of the flight landing at another airport due to adverse weather conditions or other extraordinary circumstances.
There is a form to download and complete and present at check-in (total 3 pages). Please check the Norwegian website for more information.