***NOTE: A recent synopsis follows, however, please check westjet.com for the most current baggage policies and pricing.***
What is WestJet's (WS) baggage policy?
The WestJet (WS) baggage policy for regular basic fares include the following:
- Carry-on baggage.
- 1 personal item - Fee free
- 1 carry-on item - Fee free
- Checked baggage / Hold luggage - Applicable fees per bag increase with number checked
- Overweight and Oversize bags - Applicable fees per bag depending on weight and size categories
- Sports equipment - Certain items might have applicable fees
What is WestJet's (WS) carry-on baggage policy?
WestJet (WS) allows 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop bag) per passenger fee free.
Carry-on should not exceed the following size and weight restrictions:
- 45 linear inches (21 x 15 x 9 in) or 114 centimeters (53 x 38 x 23 cm) including handles and wheels
- Fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
Personal item should not exceed the following size and weight restrictions:
- 35 linear inches (16 x 13 x 6 in) or 89 centimeters (41 x 33 x 15 cm)
- Fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you
- A jacket, umbrella, diaper bag, duty free items, and assistive devices (wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, strollers, child restraint seats, etc.) do not count towards your carry-on allowance.
NOTE: Bulkhead seats do not have under seat storage, therefore, all carry-on baggage must be stowed in the overhead bin during take-off and landing.
What is WestJet's (WS) checked baggage / hold luggage policy?
WestJet's (WS) standard checked baggage / hold luggage policy details follow:
- 2 bags standard, up to 4 bags maximum (3 bags maximum on WestJet Encore flights)
- Maximum dimensions: 62 inches or 157 centimeters (length + width + height)
- Maximum weight: 50 pounds or 23 kilograms
Are there fees for baggage on WestJet (WS)?
Yes, fees might apply. They are determined by the type of fare you purchase, your destination, if you are an active or retired military personnel, if you have status with WestJet's (WS) frequent flyer program, status with an affiliated carrier, or if you have a WestJet (WS) sponsored credit/charge card.
WestJet's (WS) standard checked baggage / hold luggage fees follow:
- First bag: $30.00 CAD / $35.40 USD (not charged on Flex or Plus fares)
- Second bag: $50.00 CAD / $59.00 USD
- Third and each additional bag: $100.00 CAD / $118.00 USD
Note: Fees are stated in Canadian dollars and are subject to applicable Canadian taxes. Conversion to local currency might occur.
What is WestJet's (WS) fee for excess baggage?
WestJet (WS) will charge $100.00 CAD / $118 USD for the third and fourth bags
What is WestJet's (WS) fee for overweight baggage?
WestJet (WS) will charge the following for bags that are greater than the standard 50 pounds or 23 kilograms:
- 51 to 100 pounds or 24 to 45 kilograms: $75.00 CAD / $88.50 USD per extra per bag
- Bags exceeding 100 pounds or 45 kilograms will not be accepted as checked baggage / hold luggage.
What is WestJet's (WS) fee for oversize baggage?
WestJet (WS) will charge $75.00 CAD / $88.50 USD extra for bags that are from 63 to 80 linear inches or from 158 to 203 centimeters. Bags greater than 80 linear inches or 203 centimeters will not be accepted as checked baggage / hold luggage.
Note: Passengers flying to/from Jamaica or Trinidad and Tobago are not permitted oversized baggage except for one golf bag containing golf clubs.
Are there fees for sports equipment on WestJet (WS)?
Sports equipment such as skis, golf bags, fishing equipment, hockey, and lacrosse equipment will be accepted up to WestJet's (WS) size and weight limits and will count as one checked bag/hold bag. The maximum length of any piece of sports equipment is 9.8 feet or 3 meters. Associated fees might be applied.